With the month of December ending today comes the close of another year. 2014 was a very full year for me both personally and professionally. This year I photographed more weddings in one season than any of my past years, growing my business to a very healthy state. I traveled to some lovely places for my couples, a few of those even taking me out of Maine (and the continental USA). Personally, it was a year of much transition and, at times, struggle. My husband got a new job in April that took him out of the state and away from our family five days a week. For three months we only saw him on weekends. Then that job turned into a permanent position in the state of Texas and in July he moved there into what is now our new house. We only saw him in person twice over the course of those three months, keeping in touch daily with the help of modern technology. Thank you FaceTime! In August I moved out of our house in Bangor and moved in with my parents for a couple months. In the fall we announced the BIG NEWS that we’d be expecting baby number two and that our family was officially moving to Texas. In October, after my wedding season was over, I moved here with our daughter and our little family was finally reunited. It was our first Thanksgiving and Christmas away from our family and friends, which was very hard for me, but all in all the transition here has been pretty good. Phew! It’s a lot when you write it all down! But as you can see, a year full of twists and turns, big decisions, and choices we never thought we’d be making.
But back to the weddings….I made a list of some of the interesting fun facts about my 2014 season. In no particular order, they are:
– I photographed sixteen weddings
– My weddings took me all over Maine to Southwest Harbor, Hampden, Boothbay, Bangor, Peaks Island, Bar Harbor, Blue Hill, Portland, Castine, Stonington, Belgrade and Wells.
– They also took me to the hills of western Massachusetts, the big city of Washington D.C and the beaches of San Juan, Puerto Rico.
– On my list of couples this year I had two Laura’s, two Chris’s and and a Brian and a Bryan.
– I ate ten different kinds of wedding cake, saw two candy bars, one chocolate chip cookie bar, one ginormous dessert station, and sampled four different kinds of pies (this is what I get for being pregnant during wedding season) ;)
– There were three weddings that had oyster bars this year (this time being pregnant was a bummer…no raw seafood for me!) :(
– Ten of my couples live outside of the state of Maine and came back there to get married.
– Five of my weddings were held at private, family homes.
– Two brides wore gold dresses
– The most popular color palette among my brides flower arrangements were white and pink.
It is very hard to pick my favorite photos from this entire year as there are many from each wedding that I love. But in the interest of keeping this short, I chose the photos that best expressed the feel of the day and the joy these couples felt. Here’s to 2015 and the magic is may bring. I can only hope that it is as exciting as this year has been. I so look forward to all the wonderful clients I get to photograph when I return to Maine for the summer wedding season.
And here’s to you! Thank you for reading and I wish you all the best in the year to come. Cheers!
SARA & ROB
A winter wedding in Portland at Port City Music Hall
JESSICA & BEN
First day of summer at The Sprucepoint Inn
KATY & DAVID
Classic wedding at The Tarratine Club in Bangor
HANNAH & KUNAL
Part I: A family only beach ceremony in Stonington
ALEXIS & JUSTIN
A Fourth of July back yard bash
LAURA & BRIAN
A hometown wedding on Peaks Island
LINDSAY & GEORGE
A nautical themed wedding at John Peters Estate in Blue Hill
CARLY & CRAIG
Lakeside hometown wedding in Belgrade
ABBY & KENNY
Seaside wedding in Southwest Harbor
CAITLIN & CHARLES
Texas charm meets New England style in Castine
MICHELLE & CHRIS
Classic, coastal Bar Harbor Club bash
ANNA & KIT
Hill Country barn wedding in western Massachusetts
LAURA & CHRIS
Black tie Camden Yacht Club wedding
LAUREN & BRYAN
An eclectic party at Laudholm Farm
HANNAH & KUNAL
Part II: Indian reception at an art gallery in Washington, D.C.
MORAIMA & JESSE
Destination wedding to San Juan, Puerto Rico
Want to see more of my other work?
Check out a sampling of my favorite recent portrait and lifestyle shoots!